Royal Garrison Church of All Saints, Rushmoor
Description: Royal Garrison Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 29 March 1973
English Heritage Building ID: 137847
OS Grid Reference: SU8532651036
OS Grid Coordinates: 485326, 151036
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2521, -0.7788
Location: Claycart Road, Aldershot, Hampshire GU11 1QA
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SU 85 SE
(North West side)
Royal Garrison Church
of All Saints
Formerly known as: Royal Garrison Church FARNBOROUGH ROAD.
Garrison church. 1863, by Philip Hardwick, drawings signed by C Russell. English bond brick with stone dressings and slate roof Decorated Gothic Revival style. PLAN: aisled nave with N and S porches at W end, S transept and opposing. N tower, NE chapel and chancel. EXTERIOR: weathered angle buttresses to coped gables on moulded kneelers with cross finials, plinth with weathered moulding, moulded cill bands, and brick dentil eaves cornice, with Geometrical Gothic tracery. E gable has 2-centre arched 5-light window with a central round window in the arch; to the left projects a low gabled vestry with paired trefoil-headed lights in the end, and to the right a low chapel with small transepts, hexagonal apsidal end and hipped roof, and paired trefoil-headed windows. N side aisle of 3 bays divided by buttresses with paired lancets, gabled dormers to the nave with triple trefoil-headed lights, and a gabled porch at the W end with moulded 2-centre arched doorway and triple trefoil-headed lights to the sides; 2-stage tower has clasping buttresses to the bottom stage, second stage with paired 2-light louvred belfry openings with colonette mullions, and a pyramidal roof with bands of green and blue slates, leaded lucarnes with finials to each side, and finial. W gable with lower aisle gables each side has a central 2-centre arched 5-light window as the E end. S side as the N, but with gabled transept instead of the tower with a 3-light window as the E end; the aisle projects through the transept into a gable with a round light containing 5 cinquefoils, and in the angle between the two gables is a porch with raking roof and small 2-centre arched doorway. INTERIOR: aisled, 5-bay nave with round piers and octagonal caps to moulded 2-centre arches, arch-braced roof on mock-hammer beam supports, cusped above moulded corbels, chancel arch on half-round responds to chancel with 2-bay roof Square font on 8 coloured marble shafts inscribed with signs of the four evangelists. HISTORY: the original garrison church for the permanent Aldershot barracks, and notable for the involvement of a national architect. This is a comparatively early instance of a garrison church, and the largest for this date, reflecting the size and consequence of the new Aldershot camp. (Childerhouse T: Military Aldershot, the first fifty years: London: 1990-; Plans and elevations: 1864-: WORK 43/733).
Listing NGR: SU8532651036
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.