Wallbridge Warehouse is a canal wharf warehouse built in 1828, with later adaptations. It forms the focus of the former wharf area and is one of the few remaining canal buildings on the Thames and Severn Canal.
Reason for Listing
Wallbridge Warehouse, dating from 1828, is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: the building is a relatively uncommon surviving example of a wharf warehouse, retaining quality ashlar dressings and intact adjoining wharf walls
* Historic interest: as part of the development of the nationally-significant interchange between the Stroudwater Navigation and the Thames and Severn Canal
The Stroudwater Navigation, built in 1775-9, was designed to link the River Severn at Framilode to Stroud, allowing coal to be brought from Shropshire, Staffordshire and the Forest of Dean to the textile mills of the Stroud valleys. The Thames and Severn Canal, constructed in 1783-9, links with the Stroudwater at Wallbridge, and was designed to run eastwards from Stroud, eventually linking the River Severn to the River Thames at Inglesham, near Lechlade. The Cotswold Canals, as they are also known, were generally successful, though the Thames and Severn in particular suffered serious technical failings which compromised its profitability; despite this, both canals continued in use well into the C20.
Wallbridge is the western terminus of the Thames and Severn Canal, at its junction with the Stroudwater Navigation. There are two locks at Wallbridge and the area between them has been heavily built over with a modern road network. Wallbridge Upper Lock stands next to Wallbridge Wharf, which was created as one of five principal canal company wharves on the waterway. The wharf warehouse was built in 1828, when Wallbridge Wharf was second only to Brimscombe Port in terms of income for the company. The roof and floor structure of the warehouse appears to have been rebuilt in the later C19. The building has been derelict for many years, probably since the canal was formally closed in 1933.
A canal warehouse, built in 1828, as part of the Wallbridge Wharf on the Thames and Severn Canal. The warehouse stands on the north side of the canal, alongside the large coping stones of the former wharf walls.
MATERIALS: the building is constructed from squared and coursed local limestone, with large ashlar quoins and dressings. The roof is covered in slate.
PLAN: the building is rectangular on plan.
EXTERIOR: the building is of two storeys below a pitched roof. The canalside elevation has central former door openings, partly sealed in brick and concrete block, with windows inserted at each level. There are upper windows to either side with metal frames. The canalside openings have concrete lintels. Iron fixings remain embedded in the elevation at various levels. The west gable end has wide double doors and a taking-in door above, both with ashlar stone architraves. The ground-floor doors have an oak lintel and the upper opening has an ashlar lintel. The rear elevation has two metal-framed windows at upper level, either side of a central taking-in door with an ashlar architrave and timber lintel. The east gable has some brick modifications, and there is a central taking-in door/ window.
INTERIOR: the ground floor has three, evenly-spaced timber posts in the centre of the flag stone floor, supporting the first-floor structure. There is a plain timber stair in the north-west corner. The first floor has C19 floorboards and the roof is a C19 king-post structure, composed of four trusses.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.