An early C19 crinkle crankle wall.
Reason for Listing
The Crinkle Crankle Wall at The Sanctuary in Shobrooke, Devon, is designated at Grade II for the following principle reasons:
* Rarity: it is an example of a relatively unusual type of structure
* Architectural interest: it displays good quality design and its construction in cob reflects an important and distinct regional building tradition
* Completeness: it has survived largely intact, further enhanced by the survival of the small rural estate it serves
In the early C19, until the 1830s, the Sanctuary was owned or occupied by Richard Reynolds, a local tanner. In 1841 it was owned by William Frank Esq., and the Tithe map of this date shows the house with two walled gardens extending to its north and east, screened by a belt of trees, set in a small park enclosed to its east by Bawden's Wood. From the late 1840s to the 1870s the Sanctuary was let to a number of different tenants. In 1880 it was bought by William Cornish Cleave, a solicitor from Crediton, who by 1906 had significantly altered and extended the house. After Cleave's death in 1908, the Sanctuary was left to his daughter, through whom it passed to the Knight-Bruce family who owned it until 2009.
An early C19 crinkle crankle or serpentine wall forming the south and east sides of a rectangular shaped walled garden to the east of the Sanctuary, a house originating from the early C19. The wall is circa 4m high and 90m long and built in cob with lime render remaining in parts. It has double roman tile coping and is set on a mixed rubble and brick plinth.
(Please note that the modern Ordnance Survey map does no longer show the actual shape of the wall, but depicts it as a straight line.)
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.