British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Trophy (War Memorial), Crystal Palace Park, Bromley

Description: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Trophy (War Memorial), Crystal Palace Park

Grade: II
Date Listed: 26 May 2011
English Heritage Building ID: 1400245

OS Grid Reference: TQ3465870967
OS Grid Coordinates: 534658, 170967
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4217, -0.0647

Locality: Bromley
County: Greater London
Country: England
Postcode: SE26 6UF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


War memorial commemorating the service of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve in the Great War.

Reason for Listing

The Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Trophy is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest - a well-crafted and distinctive example of a memorial to the fallen of the First World War deploying maritime emblems such as a ship's bell.
* Historical Significance - the monument has strong historic and cultural significance, on both a local and national scale.


The memorial was unveiled by His Highness the Prince of Wales KG on 6 June 1931and commemorates the service of Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) officers and men in the Great War. These include the 125,000 personnel who were trained at 'HMS Victory VI', a shore station which was located in the Crystal Palace building and grounds between 1914 and 1918. The memorial was damaged during World War II but restored in 1955. It was vandalised in the mid-1970s and consequently, in 1992, it was moved from its original site at HMS Victory Quarterdeck to its current location and restored.

Two dedicatory panels have been removed from the railings. One read: 'R.N.V.R Memorial Trophy/ This Trophy was unveiled on the 6th June/ 1931 by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales K.G./ to commemorate the service of R.N.V.R./ Officers and men in the Great War/ including 125,000 Officers and men who/ were trained for all branches of the/ Royal Navy at the Training Depot. HMS/ Victory VI at the Crystal Palace 1914-1918./ The trophy was damaged during the/ 1935-1945 War and was restored in 1955/ through the generosity of past and/ present members of the R.N.V.R. and/ their friends'. The second read: 'R.N.V.R. Memorial Trophy/ This trophy was damaged again in the mid/ 1970's [sic] and moved from the site of HMS/ Victory VI Quarterdeck to it's [sic] present site./ In 1992 the Trophy was restored through/ the generosity of the Old Hands of the/ R.N.R. and their friends. It was rededicated/ on the 6th June 1992 in the presence of/ Admiral of the Fleet Sir Henry Leach G.C.B./ to commemorate all men and women past/ and present of the Royal Naval Reserve Forces./ If I should die, think only this of me; that there's some corner of a foreign field/ that is forever England. There shall be in that rich earth, a richer dust/ concealed. A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware, gave, once, her/ flowers to love, her ways to roam, a body of England's, breathing English air,/ washed by the rivers/ blessed by the suns of home./ Rupert Brooke, SUB LT. R.N.V.R.'. By 2000, the medallion, anchors and banner had also been removed from the table. The banner read: 'This trophy/ was unveiled by/ his Royal Highness/ the Prince of Wales KG/ on the 6th June 1931/ to commemorate the service of RNVR Officers, and Men in the Great War (names)'.


The structure is of two parts: a hipped-roofed, timber-framed open-sided pavilion and within, a table and a memorial ship's bell. The ship's bell is supported by two large upturned dolphins with swirling tails, standing on a table that has angled legs carved in the form of rope. A bronze medallion depicting a ship in full sail was mounted on the front face of the table and flanked by two anchors but these elements have been removed, along with a banner mounted below the medallion.

The timber pavilion has a concrete platform, three square wooden posts to each corner, and a steeply-hipped slate roof with exposed square cut rafter feet. A series of iron bollards, linked by rope, surrounds the pavilion platform and railings enclose the whole monument, including a surrounding flowerbed. Two inscription panels were originally fixed to the railings, but both of these are missing.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.