War memorial, c1920, by D Kibbler.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial in Ringmer village, erected in 1920, is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: an elegant war memorial which takes a simple form which befits its sombre purpose.
* Historic interest: it has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context.
The war memorial was designed by Mr D Kibbler of Ringmer and was built by Messrs Norman and Burt of Burgess Hill. Funded by public subscription, it was unveiled on 15th August 1920 by Brigadier-General Frederick Gore Anley and dedicated by Rev Robson Leefe. The names of the Fallen of World War II were later added to the memorial.
The memorial underwent cleaning, repairs and selective re-cutting of letters in April 2003 following a grant towards the works from the War Memorials Trust.
War Memorial, c1920, by D Kibbler
The memorial is constructed of St Aldhelm Box Ground stone and takes the form of a medieval-style wheel cross, standing atop a slim tapering pillar a square plinth and octagonal four stepped base. The memorial is surrounded by a ring of eight low stone piers linked with simple chains and is located on the village green.
The concave front and back faces of the top step are inscribed with dedications and the plinth with the names of the fallen. The front face dedication reads 'OUR GLORIOUS DEAD' and on the back face 'THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE'.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.