First World War memorial by Sir George James Frampton RA (1860-1928), with dates added for the Second World War and inscription remembering later conflicts, unveiled 21 June 1922.
Reason for Listing
Maidstone Borough war memorial, by Sir George Frampton, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in the First and Second World Wars (and later conflicts), it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level.
* Artistic interest: by a sculptor of considerable renown, it is a handsome and fitting commemorative monument of high artistic quality.
Maidstone Borough war memorial was erected to honour the servicemen of Maidstone who fell during the First World War. The memorial was unveiled by Lt Col FSW Cornwallis.
Sir George Frampton studied at the Royal Academy Schools, London, and in Paris, and received many awards and honours throughout his career. Perhaps his best-known work is the statue of Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, Greater London, 1920 (listed Grade II*).
MATERIALS: Limestone plinth and base with bronze figure.
The memorial stands at the fork of two main roads which lead out of Maidstone to the west. It takes the form of a bronze statue of St George and the slain dragon on a tall cenotaph-like limestone plinth and base. The memorial is surrounded by a low stone wall. St George stands in full armour with the dragon at his feet, his left foot resting on its body. He holds an erect lance in his right hand, from which flies a pennon. In his left hand he holds a shaped shield, the bottom of which is also resting on the dragon's body.
The front face of the memorial bears the inscription:
IN HONOUR OF / OUR GLORIOUS DEAD / WHO / GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN / THE GREAT WAR / FOR EVER HONOURED / AND / FOR EVER MOURNED / 1914 1918 / 1939 1945 / AND / IN LATER CONFLICTS
There is a further short inscription to the rear. To either side of the plinth a wreath is carved in relief.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.