The headframe over Vivian's Shaft at Great Condurrow Mine.
Reason for Listing
The headframe at Vivian's Shaft, Great Condurrow Mine is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Historic interest: it is the oldest surviving intact example of a headframe in Cornwall and the only surviving one in the United Kingdom which was built solely for training purposes and used by generations of mining students who have influenced mining activities throughout the world
Rarity: it is a rare and good example of the smaller type of headframe, once a common feature of the mining landscape
The headframe is situated within the western part of Great Condurrow Mine which between 1845 and 1876 was a major tin and copper producer employing over 380 people at its height. The headframe was erected over Vivian's Shaft, which was previously known as East Shaft, in 1937 by the staff and students of King Edward Mine. In recent years the headframe, associated buildings and underground workings provided a training facility for the Camborne School of Mines.
It is the only known surviving headframe in the United Kingdom which was specifically built for training purposes.
The headframe over Vivian's Shaft at Great Condurrow Mine survives as a small steel girder structure which was designed by Head Wrightson & Co. Ltd. Of Thornaby-on-Tees in 1936, built by Holman Bros. of Camborne and erected by the staff and students of King Edward Mine in early 1937.
The headframe takes the form of a steel girder tower set directly over the winding shaft and is braced by a pair of extended legs called boomstays. The entire frame is braced and triangulated for strength and is set on elongated bearers which are bolted down to a levelled platform surrounding the shaft opening.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.