War memorial, 1921, constructed of roughly hewn granite.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial at Landue Bridge, located on the A388, and erected in 1921 to commemorate the fallen of WW1, is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context as an eloquent witness to the impact of tragic world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: an elegant war memorial which takes the simple form of the Celtic cross, befitting its sombre purpose.
At a Public Meeting on the 17 November 1919 it was agreed that a granite cross be erected at Landue Bridge, on land given by Mr Tregoning of Landue, to commemorate those who lost their lives during the WW1. The cost of the memorial was met by public subscription. The war memorial was unveiled on Sunday, 15 May 1921.
An inscription honouring those who died during WW2 was added later.
The granite war memorial consists of a three-stepped base; the lower step is concrete, surmounted by a plinth, tapered shaft and a Celtic cross. The base of the shaft and the plinth carry an inscription in raised metal block capital letters which reads:
“ERECTED IN / GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF / THIS PARISH WHO / GAVE THEIR LIVES / FOR THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE WAR, / 1914 – 1918. / (NAMES) / “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT / A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.” / 1939-1945 / (NAMES)
The inscription remembers twelve men who died in WW1 and three men who died in WW2.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.