Presbytery to St Cuthbert's RC Church, 1890-1, by WH & JH Marten in Arts & Crafts style.
Reason for Listing
The presbytery to St Cuthbert's RC Church, constructed in 1890-1 to the designs of WH & JH Marten, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural quality: It has a notable and finely detailed Arts & Crafts exterior that appears unaltered and complements the Gothic styling of St Cuthbert's RC Church
* Group value: It has group value with the attached Grade II* listed St Cuthbert's RC Church with which it shares a strong visual, physical and historic relationship
The foundation stone for St Cuthbert's RC Church was laid on 14 June 1890 and both the church and its adjacent presbytery were completed in August 1891 to the designs of WH & JH Marten, at a cost of approximately £3500 excluding internal decorative work. The presbytery is no longer lived in by the parish priest.
MATERIALS: Built of coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressings including quoining. Pitched and hipped Welsh slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles.
EXTERIOR: Presbytery is attached to north-west end of church via an enclosed, single-storey link containing the sacristy (link forms part of church's separate Grade II* listing). All windows are transomed or mullion and transomed with upper lights containing leaded glazing, those to first floor also incorporating stained glass motifs. Front (north-east) elevation: three bays. Off-centre doorway to ground floor accessed via a flight of eight stone steps. Open porch with red tiled, lean-to roof supported by timber brackets with carved timberwork above. Pointed-arched doorway with single marble columns to each jamb, double panelled and partly glazed doors. Cross window to first floor above. Two-storey canted wing to left with a polygonal roof and transom windows (taller to the first floor), wing turns the corner and joins with the enclosed linking corridor. Slightly projecting gabled bay to right of elevation with canted bay window to ground floor surmounted by stone parapet. Six-light mullion and transom window with relieving arch above to first floor. Very narrow, arrow-loop style single light to attic in gable apex. North-west side elevation: Rendered with a central doorway and various irregularly sited cross windows. Interior not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.