War Memorial unveiled in July 1919, with later inscriptions commemorating those who served during the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
* Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in the First World War, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level
* Architectural interest: a modest but competent design with a roughly-hewn Celtic cross head
The War Memorial in St Michael’s Church in Hamworthy was the first free-standing memorial to be erected in Poole after the end of the First World War, and was paid for by subscription from the parishioners of St Michaels. It was designed and erected by Messrs J W Mansell of Bournemouth and was dedicated on 3 July 1919 by the Venerable Archdeacon of Dorset, the Reverend A L Dundas. The war memorial originally stood by the churchyard wall, alongside Blandford Road but, following the construction of the present church on an adjacent site in the late 1950s, the memorial was moved slightly to the east to stand within a paved outline of the site of the original church.
War memorial of 1919, erected by Messrs J W Mansell of Bournemouth.
Material: it is carved from Cornish granite.
Description: the memorial takes the form of a simple Celtic or runic cross and a tapering shaft, set upon a plinth that is also tapered, which in turn stands on a rectangular base with raised sides. The inscription on the west face reads: 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / THE SAILORS AND SOLDIERS OF THIS PARISH / WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919, / AND WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED HEREON, THIS CROSS / IS ERECTED BY THEIR FELLOW-PARISHIONERS AND FRIENDS'. It also carries the names of the thirty-four men who lost their lives.
Inscriptions on the north and south faces carry the names of the forty-six men who died during the Second World War.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.