Beacon Hill is an early C19 villa with an attached coach house, with alterations and developments through the C19 and C20.
Reason for Listing
Beacon Hill country villa and attached coach-house are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: Beacon Hill is a successful fusion of local vernacular and late Georgian Tudor revival styles, with considerable individual architectural detailing
* Interior: the principal areas have a consistent and good quality unified style incorporating Tudor motifs and decoration, while other areas of the house have interest in their demonstration of the gradual development and adaptation of the house over the last two centuries
* Setting: the position of the house, originally an isolated, large rural villa adjacent to a stone quarry but not far from the increasingly prosperous textile city of Leeds, adds interest to its history, as does the development of its grounds during the C19
The 1848 1st edition OS map shows the buildings at Beacon Hill, then called Beacon Grove, including the barn (or coach house). The house appears to have a similar footprint as at present, except that it was not joined to the coach house at the eastern side. Land immediately to the west is marked as a quarry and it seems likely that the house was built at least in part in stone from the quarry. A link from the house through to the coach house was in existence by 1893. Census information gives the owner of Beacon Grove in 1861 as John Walker, a retired Dyer who died before 1881.
Variations in the stonework of the house suggest that it has been constructed in several phases, with the west wing probably the earliest part though the coach house may predate it. The east wing has several distinct elements and has probably undergone renewal at times throughout the C19 and early C20. A fairly extensive internal refurbishment took place in the inter-war period and again in the 1970s.
There are two elements to this list entry: a house and coach house, of early/mid C19 date, in a Tudor revival style.
MATERIALS: both buildings are constructed of varieties of sandstone including Spofforth red sandstone and gritstone. Roofs are of blue slate.
PLAN: The house describes an uneven U shape with a front range facing south. The west wing is set back, forming a separate, though joined, block. The east wing extends back to link with the coach house to the north, with several smaller elements extending into the rear courtyard. The coach house faces south into the courtyard, forming a fourth side, with entry to the courtyard between the west end of the coach house and the north end of the west wing.
House: the chimney stacks on the house are mostly tall, diagonally set with flared tops, and the windows are all multi-paned in wooden frames, with a variety of stone mullions and transoms and sashes. The front (south) range has four bays, a first floor string course and a raised parapet broken by gables in the second and fourth bays. The second bay breaks forward and has a ground floor canted bay window and corbelled kneelers on the gable. The west wing has a gabled end facing south, with a large mullioned and transomed ground floor window, and a stepped three-light window above. The west side has three bays, the central bay with a small raised gable and a large square-set chimney stack. The left bay has an altered patio door opening. The east wing has a large gabled bay at the south end with a double height canted bay and corbelled kneelers. Extending northwards, the remainder of the wing is set back and consists of several joined elements, appearing to be in part infill.
Inner courtyard: the east side of the west wing is similar to the west side, with a former cart entrance altered to form a window. The rear of the main range has a tall gable end projecting forward into the courtyard with scattered fenestration, and a lower gable set back to the left. A flat-roofed single storey later extension is attached to the west side of the east wing at its southern end. To the north the wing extends for two more bays before reducing in height to form a link to the coach house with a garage type door.
Coach house: the south front has three bays, the central bay projecting forward with a gable containing three rows of openings for doves, corbelled kneelers and a carriage entrance with a flat lintel below. The eaves to either side have a double corbel course. The right hand bay has a segmental arched carriage entrance and a three light window above with leading in the two outer lights. The left hand bay has a single door and small window openings. To the rear (north) there is a shouldered arch doorway with a three-light overlight and wooden door with narrow panels set in a stone architrave, towards the western end. Upper openings are narrow slits.
House: the main south door opens into a hallway with principal rooms opening to right and left and a staircase rising to the left at the rear. The staircase is closed string, in wood with straight moulded balusters and newel post in a C17 revival style. The ceiling has geometric Jacobean style decoration and a cornice with vine and grape decoration, and repeated Tudor arches with simple gothic moulding, defining the hallway. The room to the right (east) has a bay window to the east side framed by a moulded Tudor arch, delicate plaster moulding on the ceiling and a white marble and plasterwork fluted and decorated fire surround with a decorative cast iron fireback, possibly introduced. The room to the left (west) has a bay window to the south front framed by a Tudor arch which is repeated to form an alcove on the east wall, with another framing the doorway. The fire surround is of coloured marble and heavily carved wood, with a cast iron fireback. A six-panel door leads to the third principal room which has varnished wood, glass fronted fitted cupboards and a marble fireplace with varnished wood overmantel in a 1920s/30s style. The rear of the main range has a series of small rooms, a second staircase with stick balusters and a rear entrance from the courtyard. The west wing contains two rooms with a central chimney breast serving both rooms. The east wing has three interconnecting rooms, of which the northernmost, formerly a garage, is open to the roof structure. The central room has a coffered ceiling, tall, round-arched windows, and a wood and marble fire surround with a hob grate. The main staircase leads to a galleried landing with open Tudor arches echoing those in the principal rooms. Several upper rooms have modest fireplaces and there is cornicing in the principal rooms. A bathroom and bedroom in the east wing fitted are with Art Deco style fixtures. One room has fitted linen cupboards but there are few other features. A small second storey accessed from the rear staircase has one room with a small fireplace. The basement was not accessed but is believed to occupy the area beneath the eastern half of the front range.
Coach house: the central area of the coach house is open; there is an upper floor that could not be accessed. The right (eastern) bay contains a tack room with timber panelling, fitted cupboards, a cast iron range in a timber surround and custom pegs for hanging tack. A staircase leads to a small upper room. The left (west) bay has opposing doors to front and rear and three horse stalls with timber divides and iron mangers.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.