A school chapel, built in 1922 as a war memorial to the fallen former pupils of Kingswood School.
Reason for Listing
* Architectural interest: as a good example of an early-C20 commemorative chapel built in the Neo-Perpendicular Gothic style;
* Group value: with the main school building and the entrance lodge and memorial gateway, both listed at Grade II.
The chapel was built as a war memorial to the former fallen pupils of the school. It complements the slightly different Tudor Gothic style of the main school.
Commemorative school chapel. 1922. By Gunton and Gunton.
MATERIALS: Bath limestone ashlar with a Welsh slate roof.
PLAN: a rectangular nave with apsed chancel.
EXTERIOR: built in a Perpendicular style. The west end has an unfinished look as if a porch was intended. A recessed doorway surrounded by a shield moulding is framed by buttresses with offsets. These are flanked by two-light mullioned windows with cusped heads and drip moulds over. Above is a five-light Perpendicular window with hood-mould over. Buttresses with offsets at either side. Side elevations of five bays, three-light windows with a band of shields on a wide transom. Buttresses with offsets. Corbel table, castellated parapet. Apsed chancel with lancet window to each face.
INTERIOR: contains a lobby under the west gallery, a four-bay nave with hammer beam roof, and shield band on the window transoms as to the exterior. Good quality oak joinery and furniture. Panelled front to the gallery and panelled screen below.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.