A retail shop built in the early C20.
Reason for Listing
* Architectural interest: for its elaborate, high-quality early-C20 shopfront which retains most of its original components;
* Group value: with the neighbouring Grade II listed buildings on Lower Borough Walls and St James's Parade.
The relationship of this building with No.46 is not clear. In 1994 the right hand glass sign was accidentally broken, and destroyed, during routine maintenance, and the central sign further damaged. By 14 Oct 1913, the lettering over the shop read ‘J. Foster, Shopfitter, Builder and Decorator’. J Foster & Sons were well known local shop fitters and built many shops in Bath.
A retail shop built in the early C20 by J Foster & Sons.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar and glass.
PLAN: a small shop with frontage to Lower Borough Walls, backing on No. 46 St James's Parade (qv), and trapezoidal on plan. Flat roof not visible.
EXTERIOR: full width shop-front with one wide and one narrow plate glass panel to low stall-board, below smaller square transom lights, with glazed door and transom light set back, to the right, beyond this, far right, panelled and glazed door with transom light, all these under fascia with moulded cornice, and contained in very narrow panelled pilasters with modelled consoles. Above cornice is three part lofty parapet, centre raised and with segmental head, sides with swept moulded copings stopped at outer ends to small fluted finials with ball cappings. Centre and end parapet faced with painted and gilt glass display panels, to centre with ‘W.D.LANE/ABBEY DAIRY’ in decorative capitals, enclosing painted figure of cow enclosed in cartouche. To left, in similar lettering ‘BEST DAIRY PRODUCE’ and to right ‘OUR CREAM A SPECIALITY’, both these also cartouche-like embellishments.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.