A milestone of the mid-C19.
Reason for Listing
The milestone approximately 98m east of Carthew Cottages, Newbridge is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: it is an intact mid-C19 milestone which remains in its original position
* Historic Interest: it was erected on a busy and important freight road through this prosperous mining area, when the Penwith Turnpike Trust was founded in 1863
* Group value: it forms a group with other surviving milestones along the road between Penzance and St Just
The milestone is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1880. It forms part of a group of stones along the road between Penzance and St Just that were erected in the early to mid-C19 and are of two designs. The earlier examples, which pre-date the establishment of the turnpike, have arched tops; while those erected by the newly formed Penzance & St Just Turnpike Trust in 1863, including the milestone under assessment, have pyramid tops. The road on which the milestones were erected linked the main mining region on the north coast of Penwith with the stannary town and harbour at Penzance. It was thus a busy industrial road that carried heavy mining traffic.
MATERIALS: A granite milestone which stands on the north side of the road between Penzance and St Just (now the A3071).
PLAN: The stone is rectangular on plan with a truncated rectangular pyramid top and stands just over 1 metre high.
EXTERIOR: The roadside (south) face of the stone carries the inscription: "3" in a square, recessed panel. The lettering is painted black.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.