A milestone of the early-C19.
Reason for Listing
The milestone to the west of Higher Botrea is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: an intact early-C19 milestone which remains in its original position;
* Historic interest: it was erected at a time when there was an increase in freight traffic related to the prosperous mining industry in this area, but interestingly pre-dates the turnpiking of this road;
* Group value: it forms a group with other surviving milestones along the route between Penzance and St Just.
The milestone is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1880. It forms part of a group of stones along the road between Penzance and St Just that were erected in the early to mid-C19 and are of two designs. The earlier examples which includes this milestone, and which pre-date the establishment of the turnpike, have arched tops; while those erected by the newly formed Penzance & St Just Turnpike Trust in 1863 have pyramid tops. The road on which the milestones were erected linked the main mining region on the north coast of Penwith with the stannary town and harbour at Penzance. It was thus a busy industrial road that carried heavy mining traffic.
A granite milestone which stands on the south side of the road between Penzance and St Just (now the A3071). The stone is rectangular on plan with a rounded top and stands just over 1m high. The roadside (north) face of the stone carries the inscription: 'FROM / PENZ / 5'. The lettering is painted black.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.