A milestone standing on the north corner of the junction between the B3306 St Just to Botallack road, and a minor road leading to Morvah via No Go By Hill.
Reason for Listing
The milestone approximately 28m S of No. 1 Trenhare, St Just in Cornwall, erected in c1836, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it is of note as part of a group of milestones in West Penwith erected at a time when there was an increase in freight traffic related to the prosperous mining industry in this area.
* Intactness: it is a complete example of an early-C19 fingerstone, a relatively unusual type of milestone, standing in its original position.
* Group value: it has group value with the other finger stones in West Penwith, some of which are also listed.
The milestone is marked and labelled as 'Guide Stone' on the first edition Ordnance Survey map published in 1880. It forms part of a group of similar stones with pointing hands situated in West Penwith which were erected in the mid 1830s (some have inscribed dates), at a time when the roads became increasingly busy with heavy freight traffic related to the foundry at Tregeseal in St Just, set up by Nicholas Homan in 1834, and the local mines.
MATERIALS: Built in stone, c1836
PLAN: it is triangular in plan with a flat top, with the front edge chamfered.
EXTERIOR: The inscription, on two sides, each with a pointing hand in bas relief above it, is in sans serif capitals. The left hand side reads: 'BOTALLACK 1 MILE' (with the last three letters carved on the chamfered front edge) and the right hand side reads 'MORVAH 4 MILES'. The stone is painted white with the lettering and pointing hand painted black.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.