Offices. c1865/Mid C19, possibly 1868 by Wilson and Willcox as extension to National Provincial Bank at No.24 Milsom Street (qv)
Reason for Listing
* Architectural interest: It is a good example of a mid-C19 High Victorian shop front;
* Group value: It sits in a prominent location within an important commercial street within the City of Bath World Heritage Site.
An opulent High Victorian shop front, as befits its location; it may have been built at the same time as the adjoining premises, the National Provincial Bank at No.24 Milsom Street, were rebuilt in 1868 by Wilson and Willcox. It housed a fishmongers until 1971.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, painted, to front, rear elevation not visible, parapeted flat roof, covering not visible, no visible stacks.
PLAN: building at change in building line of street has swept angle to left.
EXTERIOR: two storeys and basement, three window front range. First floor has three horned sashes in plain reveals with carved bobbin decoration to jambs and rounded corners to heads of windows, ground floor has C20 shopfront, with some C21 alterations. Blocked opening to basement in pavement. Heavy console brackets, linked by moulding forming arches with baroque decoration over heads of windows, to moulded eaves cornice and blocking course.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.