A terraced house built in the late C18, converted into a shop in 1871, by the builder Thomas Shockell. Its front was partially rebuilt following bomb damage in 1942.
Reason for Listing
* Architectural interest: a good example of a late-C18 terraced house displaying good quality architectural detailing;
* Group value: forms part of an interesting group of terraced houses along Margaret’s Buildings.
Built as part of a paved street of shops that served the surrounding houses. The shop front was installed for Mr A Church in 1871.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, roof unseen.
PLAN: double depth plan.
EXTERIOR: four storeys, three-window front. Coped parapet, stopped cornice and plain openings to plate glass sash windows without horns to upper floors. Shop has good moulded cornice to fascia, semicircular arched recesses to pilasters to left and flanking C20 six-panel door and overlight to right. Three-pane plate glass shop window has a moulded sill.
INTERIOR: inspected in 1982. Georgian timber stairs with Doric newels. Georgian and early-Victorian fireplaces.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.