Church built in 1907 and 1911. Designed by E Buckle in a Free Perpendicular style, with some earlier characteristics.
Reason for Listing
* Architectural interest: a balanced and well-considered design of two phases in a Free Perpendicular style;
* Internal features: it survives largely unaltered and retains its original historic character and some internal fittings.
The main part of the church was constructed in 1907, a year after the foundation stone was laid. It was designed by the architect E. Buckle. The chancel and south aisle were added in 1911.
The hall to the rear was added in 1969; and an office and meeting rooms completed in 1998.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar with slate roofs.
PLAN: the nave, north and south aisles and south porch date from 1907, and the chancel with south aisle were added in 1911.
EXTERIOR: the west wall faces the street. It is framed by stepped buttresses and has a large three-light window with mullions. It has a small bell-cote to the left and a gable cross. The porch entrance to left gives access to the north aisle. The aisle windows have three-lights with coupled lights in a clerestory above. The chancel has a five-light east window.
INTERIOR: a five-bay nave, with lozenge shaped piers with two orders of arches dying into piers without capitals. Hood-moulds to rere-arches of the aisle windows. A moulded stone reredos in five compartments, pitch-pine desks, choir seats and pulpit.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.