Church built in 1873-1874, extended in 1880, in C13 French Gothic style. By Wilson, Willcox and Wilson.
Reason for Listing
Holy Trinity church is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: the church is a well-executed example of a mid-C19 Victorian church in the French Gothic style by the well known architects firm, Wilson Willcox & Wilson
* Group Interest: it has group value with other listed building on Chapel Row and St Paul’s Place
Holy Trinity Church stands on the site of the former St Mary's Chapel by John Wood, which stood at south-west corner of Queen Square. This was demolished in c1870 for road widening in order to improve access to new Queen Square station (now Green Park Station), and to be replaced by this church, which at that time was dedicated to St Paul.
PLAN: parallel apsed naves, larger, and earlier in date, to east. Both have narthex, the lower vestry at angle on the north east of the site, also an addition of later date.
MATERIALS: coursed squared Bath limestone of near ashlar quality, Welsh slate roofs with tile cresting.
EXTERIOR: south elevation has twin gables of different size and character, separated by tall bell-cote. On right narthex has four-bay ground floor with doorways flanking three-light windows, all recessed in Gothic arcade. Above blind arcade flanked by tabernacles. Above again five-light arcaded window, and in gable pierced rose. To left narthex is severely plain over large portal, and may be much later addition. In gable above two-light Decorated window. Central gabled bell turret buttressed, and rises above projecting stair turret. East elevation shows five-bays of two-light Decorated windows, separated by buttresses. Apsed chancel has seven single light windows, and corbel table above. West elevation shows two storeys due to fall in ground. Four-bays divided by strip buttresses. Plain two-light window below, Decorated window above, floor level giving impression of transom. Nave shorter than eastern one, and apse half octagonal rather than semicircular. Vestry, single storey, added on north east corner.
INTERIOR: Has nave with north-west aisle, north-west chapel and apsed sanctuary up marble steps. Five-bay arcade with stiff leaf caps. Hammer beam and kingpost roof, close boarded throughout. Three wall monuments older than church and may come from St Mary's Chapel, Queen Square, demolished in c.1870. Neo-classical style. One to Col. Robert Bull died 1833, veteran of the Peninsular and Waterloo, with trophy of arms. Another to daughter, also signed Biggs, and third to an Indian veteran. Gothic style font and pulpit contemporary with church. Later adjoining `nave' taken up with offices and meeting rooms, with large meeting room on upper floor.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.