A detached house built in 1855, possibly to a design by Henry Goodridge.
Reason for Listing
* Architectural interest: a good example of a little altered mid-Victorian villa;
* Group value: it is one of an interesting group of four mid-C19 villas in Cleveland Walk that were built at four-year intervals in differing Italianate styles and are listed.
Byland House is one of a group of four detached villas that were constructed in the mid-C19, and were the first houses to be built on Cleveland Walk. They were possibly built to a design by the architect Henry Goodridge.
Byland House was divided into five flats in the mid-C20, but is now a single dwelling with one flat retained.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar with a Welsh slate roof.
PLAN: half H-plan with projecting rear wings and stair-hall in centre. Infill post-1866 with two-storey half-height bathroom block.
EXTERIOR: a two-storey building with attic, partly three storeys, built
in an Italianate villa style. Third storey is belvedere single room accessed by stone spiral staircase from ground level. Multiple hipped roofs have deep eaves on timber brackets. A central leaded gulley-roof is on one side of the stair-hall which has a triple-arched window in the gable, topped with a wrought iron weathervane. Corniced stacks in Italian villa style. The windows are mostly arched with keyed heads, some paired, and there are plain, two/two and margin glazed sashes and casements. The north elevation is stepped up in three blocks, each separately roofed. The rear (east) elevation shows two projecting wings, the south one with c.1953 single-storey extension at upper level with entrance; original roof capped by triple shafted stack. The north one is blind with a tall stack above. The west elevation has a small early-C20 extension to ground floor at east end and a corbelled stone balcony at first floor. South elevation has a similar stone balcony and a further one in wrought iron. The front entrance was altered c.1953 to accommodate an extension for a bathroom, A sculpted scroll stone shows name and date.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.