A small detached house, formerly two dwellings, built in the early C19.
Reason for Listing
* Architectural interest: although extended, this is a good example of early-C19 former cottages that reflect the vernacular traditions of the area;
* Group value: it forms part of a grouping of artisinal dwellings with other listed houses on Combe Road; all probably related to the quarrying industry for which Combe Down was celebrated at this time.
Beech Cottage dates from 1803 and was originally a pair of attached dwellings, probably built as workers' cottages and situated close to the quarries at Combe Down. Map evidence indicates that it was converted to a single dwelling some time during the second half of the C20.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, double Roman tile roof.
PLAN: plain range, facing west, with swept-down rear addition at far end.
EXTERIOR: two storeys, two/two windows, all four-pane sashes, the gable facing south has a four-pane sash window at ground-floor level. Four of the windows are early-C21 replacements. To the right is a glazed lean-to conservatory with a panelled door. Coped gables, square central ashlar stack.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.