An early-C19 stable block, now converted to a house and garages.
Reason for Listing
No 7A Harley Street is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical Interest:as a small early-C19 former stable block, in an urban setting
* Group Value: with the adjoining house, No. 7, and with the former St Andrew's School, both listed at Grade II
Part of the ground conveyed to Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom(e) by Sir Peter Rivers Gay on 25 March 1790 on which St James's Square and adjoining streets were built; this plot remained undeveloped until 1817 when Manners' New and Correct Plan of Bath shows houses on sites of Nos 3-6 and Portland Chapel opposite. The school building standing to the south was built in 1821; No. 7, which adjoins the stable building, is thought to have been associated with the school.
A stable block, now a house with garages. Early C19 with C20 additions.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, roof unseen.
PLAN: double depth plan.
EXTERIOR: two storey, three-window range. The building, a little higher than No.7, has a coped parapet and cornice. To the first floor of the street front are three horned six/six-pane sash windows, with to the ground floor right a plain opening and over-light to a C20 door. The left return has horned eight/eight-pane sash windows to the centre and left of the first floor, flanking a horned six/six-pane sash. The ground floor has three C20 garages.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.