A former public house, now retail premises of c.1800 date with an ashlar frontage. Probably designed by John Palmer. The building is now the rear of Nos. 30-31 Stall Street (formerly Nos. 1 and 2 Beau Street), the front of Nos. 30-31 is not included in listing
Reason for Listing
The rear of Nos. 30-31 Stall Street (Formerly Nos. 1 and 2 Beau Street), Bath is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: as an early-C19 former public house;
* Group value: with other early-C19 buildings in Stall Street and Beau Street, many of which are listed at Grade II.
Probably built as a part of the city centre improvements following the Bath Improvement Act of 1789. The Council Minutes of 20 March 1797 record that John Palmer, City Architect, was asked to prepare plans for improving Stall Street with new frontages.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, painted on the ground floor. The roof, not visible, has ashlar stacks without pots at either end.
PLAN: single and double depth plan, and evidently built as part of the same block as Nos. 30-33 Stall Street (No. 33 Stall Street (qv)).
EXTERIOR: three storeys, three windows to whole. The ground floor is very altered, with six arched windows three and three, small with single panes, one forms a fanlight to the plain door. The ground floor is otherwise featureless with previous public house frontage removed. The floors above have sill bands, six by six pane sashes in plain reveals, listel, cornice, and parapet. The top floor stonework is toothed on the left for a proposed extension to the terrace which was never built because of the building of the adjoining St Catherine's Hospital (qv) in 1829.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.