Roman Catholic cemetery chapel, c1859. By Mr Hill, probably William Hill of Leeds.
Reason for Listing
* Architectural interest: it is a good example of mid-C19 Gothic Revival architecture on a modest scale;
* Group value: it forms a group with the Eyre Chantry building of c.1860 which is also in the Roman Catholic burial ground at Perrymead
A C19 cemetery chapel, probably designed by William Hill of Leeds in the Gothic Revival style c1859.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, with Welsh slate roofs.
PLAN: a two bay nave, single bay chancel, and small south-east vestry.
EXTERIOR: Gothic Revival in style. The west door has two orders of colonnettes with stiff-leaf capitals. There is an inscription to the pointed arch between the orders. There is a hoodmould with carved head stops. Original plank double doors and ironmongery. The gable above the door has a circular window containing three circular lights. There are diagonal buttresses and the nave elevations have two bays separated by buttress, and lancet lights with cusped heads. The gables are coped and have a gable cross. The coping which separates the nave from chancel carries a bell cote. The chancel is a single bay with lancet on the north side and a vestry covering south side. The east wall has three-light Decorated window with trefoils and quatrefoils in the head tracery, with a hoodmould above. Below is a panelled band with four marble inscription panels, and above, a trefoil ventilator and gable cross. Slates of the chancel roof are banded in grey and purple. The vestry has a two-light east window of a similar type, and two lancets to the side. There is a round stone chimney, and tile cresting.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.