A terrace of four vernacular-Revival style almshouses on a site that slopes steeply down to the rear. Dated 1905, by Mowbray A Green.
Reason for Listing
* Architectural interest: the symmetrical grouping of alms houses combines Baroque and Arts and Crafts and vernacular motifs to create a convincing mixture which is typical of its period;
* Group value: The building groups well with other listed buildings along Weston Lane.
The group of alms houses is dated 1905 and was designed by Mowbray A Green. The exterior has been little altered since its building.
MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, a plain tile roof with moulded stacks to centre ridge and gable ends.
PLAN: double-depth plan with rear wings.
EXTERIOR: two storeys and basements with two shared entrances. They are adjoining symmetrical pairs with moulded kneelers to coped gable ends and a central party wall. There is a single leaded three-light stone mullioned and transomed window to each floor of each house, the upper of which is in a half-dormer. Each pair has central gabled porch on brackets over planked door. There is a Baroque inscription cartouche set beneath a segmental hood, placed over a blind arched entrance at the centre of the row. Rears have similar windows in gabled dormers and one and two-light leaded windows. Long flights of stone steps against rear wings lead from the ground floor down to the garden.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.