A former cartshed constructed in the first half of the C19.
Reason for Listing
The cartshed is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: a substantially complete example of a distinctive vernacular early-C19 farm building;
* Historic interest: it illustrates the character and development of regional farming traditions within the context of the overall national patterns in farming history;
* Group value: it forms a good grouping with the largely C18 farmhouse to the east and the early-C19 bank barn to the south which are both listed at Grade II.
Barteliver is an early medieval settlement that was first recorded in 1337 and forms part of Trewithen Estate. Barteliver Farmhouse has a C17 rear wing, but is understood to date largely from the late C18. A number of farm buildings are depicted on the 1841 Tithe Map which are irregularly sited around several yards to the west and south-west of the farmhouse. Dispersed plans are typically found on smaller farms in stock-rearing or dairying areas, where a large straw yard for cattle was not required. The buildings, including the cartshed to the west of the house, appear to date from the early C19 and were built for John Hawkins who owned the Trewithen Estate from 1829 to 1841.
In the late C20 a number of large agricultural sheds were erected at the farm; these are interspersed between the early-C19 buildings.
MATERIALS: constructed of granite stone rubble under a pitched roof of slates and corrugated sheeting.
PLAN: it is a rectangular, single-depth building that fronts onto a yard to the west of the farmhouse. An attached, narrower range to the east which has been altered is not of interest.
DESCRIPTION: it is a single-storey structure with three irregularly-sized open bays to the front (north) which are divided by timber uprights that rest on stone pads. The rear elevation is blank. The roof trusses have tie beams and queen struts. Attached to the east end is a narrower stone-built range with modern timber doors whose interior was not inspected.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.