A milestone, probably of early C18 date.
Reason for Listing
The milestone to the south-east of Morvah Church is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: as an intact early-C18 milestone which remains in its original position;
* Historic Interest: as a pre-turnpike example that is situated on a important route between the mines on the north coast and Penzance harbour.
In the period before the turnpike trusts were set up from the middle of the C18, the roads in Cornwall were poor and were indeed little more than bridleways capable of carrying carts and coaches occasionally. Despite this, a small number of these routes were marked by milestones, including the road between Morvah on the north coast and Madron to the north of Penzance. This road is depicted both on Thomas Martyn's map of 1748 and on Greenwood's county map of 1827. Although the route was not a turnpike, it was important for connecting the mines on the north coast to the harbour at Penzance, the stannary town for West Cornwall. The first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1880 shows four milestones along the course of the road; although only two remain in situ. The milestone approximately 150m to the south-east of Morvah Church marks the distance to Madron and probably dates from the early C18.
A dressed granite milestone which stands on the east side of the road, set into a granite dry stone wall which is not of interest. It is rectangular in plan with a rounded top and is approximately 0.8m high. The front (west) face has a rectangular recessed panel which carries the number 4 in bas relief. The stone itself is painted white with the number picked out in black. A horizontal joint across the face of the stone suggests that it has been repaired.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.