British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

War Memorial in the Churchyard of the Church of St Saviour, Tetbury

Description: War Memorial in the Churchyard of the Church of St Saviour

Grade: II
Date Listed: 3 April 2012
English Heritage Building ID: 1406890

OS Grid Reference: ST8879693254
OS Grid Coordinates: 388796, 193254
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6380, -2.1633

Locality: Tetbury
Local Authority: Cotswold District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL8 8DU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Tetbury, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


A World War One war memorial, dating from circa 1920, with additions to the inscriptions to commemorate the fallen of World War Two and later conflicts.

Reason for Listing

The war memorial in the churchyard of the Church of St Saviour in Tetbury is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for its incorporation of the form of a traditional Cotswold table tomb;
* Group value: with the listed buildings which form its backdrop.


The memorial was proposed in 1920, and as it was to be situated in the churchyard of the Church of St Saviour, the design was considered by the newly-created Gloucester Diocesan Advisory Committee in February of that year. The then honorary Secretary of the DAC, the Reverend Denton Jenner-Fust, minuted the discussion thus: "A churchyard cross by Mr Frith was thought beneath criticism.  The cross and base were unrelated, & the whole thing most unsuitable for a place of Tetbury’s architectural distinction." Though relatively mild by the standards of Reverend Jenner-Fust, the expression "beneath criticism" was, understandably, received very badly in the parish. He eventually resigned over the matter; and the memorial was constructed according to the original design, by Henry Chapman Frith, an architectural sculptor from Gloucester. It was unveiled on 19 July 1921, by Major General Sir Louis Jean Bols, a highly-decorated veteran commander of campaigns across the Empire, and chief administrator of Palestine at the end of World War One. In 1920 Bols was appointed to command the 43rd Wessex division and the south-west area, and in 1921 he became colonel of the Devonshire regiment and of the 12th London regiment (the Rangers); during this period he had a house in Bath, and it is presumably this close proximity which brought him to Tetbury for the unveiling of the memorial. After the end of World War Two, the names of the men of the town who fell in that war were added to the memorial. In 2010, the names of Lance Corporal Gary Manning, RLC (d.1993) and Sergeant Richard Brown (d.2005) were inscribed on the monument; L/Cpl Manning had died when his Hercules crashed near Blair Athol in Scotland, and Sgt Brown had been in a Hercules shot down over Iraq.   


A war memorial, constructed in 1920/1 and unveiled in July 1921, to a design by Henry Chapman Frith. The monument is built from limestone. It takes the form of a plain cross with slightly tapering arms, set upon a plain square block. This sits upon a much more elaborate base, which takes the form of a Cotswold table tomb, with a finely-moulded cornice and base, set on a platform of two steps. The block on which the cross sits is inscribed to its east face IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF TETBURY / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR / 1939-1945. Below this, and continuing around the flanking sides, are the names, ranks and regiments or services of the 35 men who fell in World War Two. The western face carries the names of two servicemen who died in 1993 and 2005. The lower element is inscribed to its east face IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF TETBURY / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR / 1914-1918. The names, ranks and regiments or services of the 68 fallen of World War One are inscribed below, extending to cover the other three sides.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.