A milestone dating from circa 1863.
Reason for Listing
The milestone approximately 198m E of Wheal Bal Farm, St Just, is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: an intact milestone dating from 1863, which remains in its original position;
* Group value: with the other listed milestones along the Penzance to St Just turnpike route.
The milestone stands on the western side of the present B3318, six miles from Penzance, on a turnpike road. This route was laid out in 1863, across Boscaswell Higher Downs, as an alternative to the former road which lay to the south and which led over the steep Dry Carn Hill. It provided a gentler route for the teams of four horses which had replaced pack mules and which were used to haul wagons for the mining industry on the North Cornwall coast. The Penzance and St Just Turnpike Trust was founded in 1863 to respond to the needs of local industry. There was a continuation Act in 1884 and the trust expired in November 1885. The B3318 splits into two on Woon Gumpus Common, passing either side of Heather Farm; one branch reaches the north coast road at Portherras, and the other, on which this milestone is situated, joins it at Trewallard. Both branches were provided with milestones marking the distance from Penzance.
The milestone is rectangular on plan and has roughly hewn stone surfaces to the faces, with smoother carving at the corners. There is a recessed panel to the west face, which is nearly square and bears the number '6' in relief. The numeral has been painted black, whereas the rest of the stone is painted white. Above this is a pyramidal cap, with flat top.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.