War memorial cross, c1920, moved 1991.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial at the former St Mark's Church, Silvertown, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Historic interest: commemorates the people of Silvertown parish who fell in the two World Wars.
St Mark's Church, Silvertown was built in 1860-62 by the architect Samuel Sanders Teulon. It closed for worship in 1974 and in 1981 was ravaged by fire, but the building has since been restored and is now the home of the Brick Lane Music Hall. The war memorial, commemorating the parish dead of the First World War, was erected near the south-east corner of the church c1920. After 1945 an inscription was added in honour of the Second War dead. The monument was moved to its present position in 1991.
The memorial, of polished grey granite with leaded lettering, takes the form of a Celtic cross set on a tall pedestal with a pedimented top, which in turn rests on a three-stage plinth. The principal inscription reads: 'In memory / of / the men / of / Silvertown / who gave their lives / in the / Great War / that we might live / 1914-1918'; to which has been added, 'and in the / Second Great War / 1939-1945'. The four faces of the upper section are inscribed, 'Remembrance', 'Honour', 'Unity' and 'Courage'. The plinth is inscribed, 'Their names shall live for ever'.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.