A milestone of c.1870.
Reason for Listing
The milestone at SX 01840 52396 on Alexandra Road is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: an intact milestone of circa 1870 which remains in its original position;
* Historic Interest: as a replacement for one of the original mid-C18 milestones on this route it demonstrates the continuity of both the turnpike trust and this particular route;
* Group value: with the other listed milestones that were erected by the St Austell and Lostwithiel Trust, one of the earliest turnpike trusts in the county.
In 1754, the first Cornish turnpike was established. The next ten years saw the establishment of several new Turnpike Trusts in the county, resulting in the construction of new roads and the erection of milestones. The St Austell and Lostwithiel Turnpike Trust was established by Act of Parliament in 1761 to turnpike the main highway between the Liskeard Roads (turnpiked in the same year) and the Truro Roads. Milestones were erected at one mile intervals from Grampound, where the road met the existing turnpike of the Truro Trust, through St Austell, to Lostwithiel. In about 1870 one of the milestones, situated on Alexandra Road, St Austell, was replaced, probably because the previous milestone had either been damaged or lost.
The St Austell and Lostwithiel Trust was wound up in 1877 and responsibility for its roads was taken over by three different highway boards – Tregony, St Austell and Tywardreath District Highway Boards. The milestone on Alexandra Road is depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1880.
A dressed granite milestone that is set into a stone boundary wall on the north side of Alexandra Road. It is rectangular in plan with a rounded top and is approximately 1m high. The road (south) face is inscribed St AUSTELL / ½ / MILE / TRURO / XIV / MILES in relief. The stone itself is painted white with the number picked out in black. An Ordnance Survey benchmark has been inscribed to the lower part of the face.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.