Monument erected during the 1860s, most probably by Young and Pool of Hull.
Reason for Listing
The Gothic iron monument in General Cemetery, Kingston upon Hull, situated at TA0783529572, 1860s by Young and Pool, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: as an elaborate example of the trend for Gothic Revival in Victorian commemorative structures
* Historic: for its unusual use of iron in a funerary monument of this period
This is one of a pair of monuments was erected during the 1860s. They were most probably made by Young & Pool of Waltham Street, Hull, who also designed and constructed the cast-iron gateway to Pearson Park (Grade II). They would have originally been part glazed and contained a funeral urn. At least three monuments of this design were once placed within the cemetery. Only one example survives aside from this pair, although it is incomplete with only the lower part surviving. Both monuments were repaired in 1996 when a newspaper dated 1868 was found in the eastern example.
MATERIALS: Cast-iron and ashlar.
EXTERIOR: This is an elaborate iron monument in the form of an Eleanor Cross, rising from a square base. Each face has a pointed-arched opening with gable, flanked by corner pinnacles. Above there is an octagonal corona with eight lancets, gables and pinnacles, topped by an octagonal spire.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.