A milestone probably dating from the late C17 or early C18.
Reason for Listing
The milestone on the north side of Viaduct Hill (SW 57339 37649) in Hayle is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: a good example of a pre-turnpike milestone;
* Intactness: as an intact milestone which remains in its original position; * Group interest: it forms part of a well-defined pre-turnpike route which includes other listed milestones.
In the period before the turnpike trusts were set up from the middle of the C18, the roads in Cornwall were poor and were indeed little more than bridleways capable of carrying carts and coaches occasionally. Despite this, a small number of routes were marked by milestones, including that from Mitchell, near Newquay, to Land's End. One documentary source published in 1814 states that 'the old road from the north of Cornwall to Land’s End branched off at Mitchell; this road, which has been long disused for carriages, though its mile-stones remain, and it keeps its place in the road-books, passed through Zealla, Redruth and Crowless to Penzance'. The route is shown on Greenwood's county map of 1827. The road crossed Connor Downs to the north-east of Hayle, through Angarrack, and then into Hayle. The milestone on Viaduct Hill (SW 57339 37649) on the south-eastern outskirts of the town is marked in its current position on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1880 as 'Stone'. It probably dates from the early C18, although a late-C17 date is possible and it is inscribed with the distances to Penzance and Lands End; 9 and 19 miles respectively.
A dressed granite milestone on the north side of Viaduct Hill. It is rectangular on plan with a rectangular pyramid top. The edges are rounded and worn. The south and west sides of the milestone have rectangular recessed panels. The south (roadside) panel carries the inscription 19 / L, while the west panel is inscribed with 9 / P; the letters and numbers are in bas relief. Below the inscription on the south face is a bench mark.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.