A milestone, dating from circa 1769.
Reason for Listing
The milestone near Higher Bofarnel is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Intactness: it is an intact milestone dating from circa 1769, which remains in its original position;
* Historic Interest: it testifies to the great wave of C18 road improvement, undertaken by Turnpike Trusts.
The Bodmin Turnpike Trust was set up by Act of Parliament in 1769, with the aim of repairing and widening roads, which included the road through Bodmin, Lanhydrock, over Respyn Bridge and as far as the junction with the Lostwithiel to Liskeard Road, which was maintained by the St Austell and Lostwithiel Turnpike Trust. The road included a long drop down to Respyn Bridge over the River Fowey and a steep climb up towards Bodmin on the other side, and thus was difficult for wheeled traffic to negotiate. After several plans to improve the route were abandoned, the problem was eventually solved by the construction of an entirely new route avoiding Respyn Bridge entirely, which superseded the earlier route. The new road later became the modern A38 trunk road, and the road on which the milestone is situated is now an unclassified lane. The milestone is marked in its current position on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map published in 1880.
A milestone, dating from circa 1769, a granite monolith. It is rectangular on plan, has a rounded head, and stands circa 0.86m high. The stone retains traces of white paint, and is inscribed 4 / B, for Bodmin, the lettering picked out in black paint.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.