An C18 well and well head, possibly of medieval origins, repaired in the C19 and C20
Reason for Listing
Well head, attached revetment walls and steps c74m East of Court Farm, Backwell is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Date: it dates from at least the early C18 with possible earlier origins;
* Architectural interest: it has a substantial well head with an unusual conical shape and a prominent stone arch entrance;
* Communal interest: as well as serving Court Farm it is likely the water source was used by others in the parish, and the well is a strong candidate for the name source of Backwell parish;
* Group value: it has strong group value with the listed Court Farm.
The well at Court Farm is thought to have medieval origins and there are early records of a well at this location with stone walls on either side and above. A deed of Backwell Manor from 1709 mentions the rights to use the â€˜well called Backwellâ€™ at Court Farm. Court Farm (Grade II) is a mid- to late-C17 farmhouse. The well was in use as a source of the water to the building until at least 1939. In the mid C20 a retaining wall was added above. Local tradition suggests that this well may have been the water source which can be attributed to the naming of the parish of Backwell.
MATERIAL: the well is constructed of limestone rubble
DESCRIPTION: the well head is a conical shape with a domed top. It has stone revetment walls on either side. It is built into a bank over a natural spring. The entrance arch has thick walls and is c2m in height. Iron hinges in the stone work suggest this would have originally been gated. Inside the well are the petrified remains of a wooden shelf opposite the entrance. Stone steps lead down to the arched entrance within the west elevation. A mid-C20 wall has been added above the well head and is not included in the designation.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.