Romsey war memorial commemorates the men of Romsey who fell during the First and Second World Wars.
Reason for Listing
Romsey war memorial is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in the First and Second World Wars, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level;
* Design interest: it is an elegant monument executed in good quality materials.
Romsey war memorial stands within War Memorial Park, which was created as a memorial to the men of Romsey who fell during the First World War. The park was laid out on a five acre meadow with funds raised by public subscription, and constructed under the supervision of Charles Dyson, District Surveyor. The park was opened on 4 August 1920, and the memorial was unveiled the following year by the Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire, on the 22nd June 1921. The names of those who fell during the Second World War were added subsequently.
The memorial stands towards the north of the park. Constructed of light coloured stone, it is approximately 6m tall, and takes the form of a tapering square column on a tall plinth and two-stepped base. From each of the four corners of the plinth a shaped, angled, buttress, capped with a ball finial at the base of the shaft, radiates outward. Each face of the shaft is in the form of a stylised cross, with a recessed cross incised into it. In each corner, beneath the arms of the crosses, is the face of a winged putto, and at the bottom of the shaft, a wreath is carved in relief onto each face.
At the base of the column, facing to the north, is the following inscription: THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918 / THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. Towards the top of the column, the word 'HONOUR' is inscribed. At the base of the column, facing to the south, is the following inscription: THE WORLD WAR / 1939- 1945 / THEY LEFT ALL THAT WAS DEAR TO THEM, / ENDURED HARDNESS, FACED DANGER AND / FINALLY PASSED OUT OF THE SIGHT OF MEN / LET THOSE WHO COME AFTER SEE TO IT THAT / THEIR NAMES BE NOT FORGOTTEN. The Roll of Honour is inscribed on the four sides of the monument.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.