First World War memorial, unveiled in 1922.
Reason for Listing
Long Benton war memorial is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest: it is a poignant reminder of the impact of tragic world events upon an individual community and, thus, has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context;
* Design: it is a well executed war memorial incorporating a tall, slender granite cross with foliate cross head.
This war memorial was commissioned by Longbenton Burial Board and funds were raised by public subscription. It was unveiled at a ceremony on 6th May 1922 by Pte. T. D. Nicholson and was dedicated by Dr Wild, Bishop of Durham. Eight men who died of their wounds are buried in plots arranged in an arc around the war memorial and marked by commemorative tablets.
The memorial is situated within the churchyard of St Bartholomew and takes the form of a tall and slender tapering octagonal white granite cross shaft surmounted by a bronze foliated circular cross head; the centre of the crosshead has the entwined initials I H S (the first three letters of the Greek spelling of Jesus). The cross is set upon a pair of tapering octagonal pedestals, all of which rest upon a circular base.
The inscription on the front face of the lower plinth reads:
LEST WE FORGET and ERECTED BY/ PUBLIC/ SUBSCRIPTION
The inscription on faces two, three and four of the upper plinth reads:
1914-1918/ TO THE/ GLORIOUS MEMORY/ OF/ THE MEN FROM THIS/ PARISH/ WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN/ THE/ SERVICE OF THEIR/ COUNTRY/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ AND WHOSE /NAMES ARE RECORDED/ ON A/ TABLET IN THE CHURCH.
The names of ten men who fell on active service but are not recorded on the church tablet are inscribed on face six of the upper plinth and the names of eight men who died of their wounds are inscribed on face one.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.