Milestone of mid-C19 date.
Reason for Listing
The milestone situated on the southern side of an unclassified road (former A30), set into the hedge bank, 415m east by south east of Little Connerton, was erected c1839 is listed at Grade II for the following reasons:
* Intactness: as an intact milestone associated with the Redruth to Hayle turnpike (1839) which remains in its original position;
* Historic Interest: the milestone was erected when there was an increase in freight traffic associated with the growing mining industry in the area;
* Group Value: it forms a group with other surviving milestones along the Redruth to Hayle turnpike.
The opening of the Hayle Causeway in 1825 brought about a desire to develop new turnpike to link Redruth with Hayle to improve transport and trading opportunities for the mines in the area. An Act (â€œVc.12) enabling the construction of a turnpike along the route was passed on 14th May 1839 and toll gates were advertised for letting the following year. Carved granite milestones were erected along the turnpike from Redruth, through Camborne to the Hayle Causeway, and thence to Penzance along the current route of the A30. All of these milestones were of a similar size and style, with lettering cut flush into the face of the stone. Over the years, these stones have suffered some attritional damage requiring the turnpike trust to re-inscribe the lettering.
A dressed and painted mid C19 (c1839) granite milestone adjacent to an unclassified road (former A30), set on the southern side within the hedge bank, 415m east by south east of Little Connerton. The base of the milestone is buried within the hedge bank. A triangular shaft with a broken pyramidal cap stands out from the hedge bank. The panels are incised with 38mm (1Â½ inch) high letters in sans serif capitol script. The eastern panel carries the inscription HAYLE 3 MILES PENZANCE 11 LANDS END 21 , and the western panel is inscribed CAMBORNE 3 MILES REDRUTH 6 TRURO 15. The triangular shaft has suffered some wear to the arrises, it is painted white and the inscribed letters are picked out in black, the â€˜Câ€™ of Camborne having to be re-inscribed on the worn face of the front arris.
The milestone is marked in its current position on the Ordnance Survey 1:10560 map of 1888.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.