Former goods shed at Edenbridge Town Station, c1888, in a classical style for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.
Reason for Listing
The former goods shed at Edenbridge Town Station, an 1888 classical style building in polychrome brickwork by T H Myres, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons
* Architectural: a large and handsome classical style goods shed with polychrome brick details, in the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway's house style;
* Degree of intactness: little altered externally and the roof structure survives intact;
* Rarity: goods sheds are an increasingly rare building type and this is the only remaining example in Kent of a goods shed built by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway;
* Group value: the former goods shed groups with a contemporary railway station which is considered the least altered on its line.
This former goods shed was erected c1888 for the Oxted and Groombridge line extension to the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. The goods yard originally had five sidings, some of which could only be accessed by means of a reverse manoeuvre into a head shunt, one of which passed through the goods shed, and there were also cattle pens. The building first appears on the 1898 Kent six inch map with its current profile. The goods yard closed to general traffic on 10th July 1968. More recently it has been in use as a warehouse.
MATERIALS: constructed of red English bond brickwork with some grey headers and polychrome brick details, in yellow and black bricks with a gabled slate roof.
PLAN: consisting of a single-storey five-bay goods shed 90 feet long, aligned north-west to south-east with a small contemporary office at the south-east end.
EXTERIOR: the north-west end is pedimented with an oculus, and modillion cornice and is of two bays with recessed panels, one containing full-height double ledged and braced wooden doors. The north-east side elevation is of five bays with recessed panels. Each has two round-headed openings with cast iron fanlights and yellow brick arches and impost blocks. The south-west side is also of five bays but only six arches as each end bay has a full-height wooden loading door. The south-east end has a similar pediment with oculus and full-height double ledged and braced door to one bay but the other bay is obscured by a lower brick gabled building in identical materials. There is a sash window facing north-east and a plain doorcase facing south-east. A further window on the south-east and south-west sides have been blocked although the yellow brick voussoirs and cills remain.
INTERIOR: the interior has a softwood kingpost roof divided into ten trusses with side purlins and a ridge-piece. A later beam has been inserted between the second and third truss at the north-west end and iron strengthening ties inserted. The office to the south-west is accessed by a few steps.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.