A War Memorial, architect unknown, dating from 1920-1, commemorating the Fallen of both the First and Second World Wars.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial at Ampney Crucis is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and dignified memorial;
* Group value: with the listed buildings and structures to north and south of the memorial.
The memorial was erected in 1920-1 on land made available by the then landowner, Sir Frederick Cripps. Funding was jointly provided by Sir Frederick and local residents, with an additional Â£50 granted by an unknown benefactor. The memorial was dedicated during a ceremony of unveiling in 1921.
MATERIALS: local limestone.
PLAN: the memorial is set on an octagonal platform circa 1.1m across.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands circa 4.4m high. It comprises a small cross with cusping to the arms set on a tapering octagonal shaft topped with a moulded and crenellated capital. The shaft terminates in a square base with broach stops. The base of the shaft carries a relief-carved shield with a crown of thorns, set within an ogee-headed field with cusping. The base stands on a rectangular plinth. The east face of the plinth carries the carved inscription: THISÂ· CROSSÂ· WASÂ· ERECTED / BYÂ· THEÂ· INHABITANTSÂ· OFÂ· / AMPNEYÂ· CRUCIS / INÂ· MEMORYÂ· OFÂ· THEÂ· MEN / WHOÂ· FELL / INÂ· THEÂ· GREATÂ· WAR / 1914-1918 / WHOSEÂ· NAMES / AREÂ· INSCRIBEDÂ· HEREON / ANDÂ· INÂ· THANKFULNESSÂ· FOR / THEÂ· SAFEÂ· RETURN / OFÂ· MANYÂ· OTHERSÂ· WHOÂ· WENT / FROMÂ· THISÂ· VILLAGE. The north and south faces of the plinth are inscribed with the ranks, names and regiments of the Fallen: twenty in total. The west face is inscribed with a cross and below: THEIR NAME / LIVETH / FOR / EVERMORE / ECCLESIASTICUSÂ· 44Â· 14. The plinth rests on a three-stepped platform. The east face of the upper step carries the carved inscription: THE WORLD WAR / 1939-1945. The faces of the step below carries the ranks, names regiments and services of the Fallen, four in total. On the north side of the lowest step is an applied stone plaque, inscribed: RENOVATION CARRIED OUT BY / THE SCHRODER FAMILY / NOVEMBER 2008.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.