First World War memorial, 1921, Heworth stone.
Reason for Listing
The First World War memorial outside St George’s Church is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it is a poignant reminder of the impact of tragic world events upon an individual community and, thus, has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context;
* Design: it is a well-executed war memorial incorporating a well-detailed crucifix.
This war memorial was designed by Knowles, Oliver and Leeson of Newcastle and was unveiled at a ceremony on June 14 1921 by Lord Armstrong and dedicated by the vicar Rev. H. J. B Fry. In 1989, a new cast bronze plaque, by Robert Beall of Newcastle, listing the names of 83 Fallen was added to the memorial to replace the weathered inscribed list of names; the memorial was also re-dedicated by the Duke of Northumberland. The new bronze plaque was stolen in April 2010.
The memorial is situated immediately outside the east end of St George’s Church. It takes the form of a crucifix upon a square pedestal with a moulded top; the whole is set upon a square, tall base, also with a moulded top. The tall Latin cross with triangular pediment bears a Christ in Agony with bearded head, crowned with thorns. The arms are up stretched and fingers clasped and a loose loincloth is knotted to the right. side. The right knee is bent and the feet superimposed.
The inscription, in raised Roman capitals, on the front face of the pyramidal cap reads:
HERE BENEATH THE SHADOW OF THE CROSS/BEHOLD THE NAMES OF OUR BRETHREN OF /CULLERCOATS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE /GREAT WAR 1914-1918/LET FUTURE GENERATIONS KEEP THEM/IN CONTINUAL REMEMBRANCE /GIVING UNTO GOD THE THANKS AND THE GLORY.
The names of 82 Fallen are inscribed in three columns beneath on the front face of the base, many of which are illegible; nine holes used to fix the missing bronze plaque pierce the front face of the base.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.