A war memorial, dating from circa 1920, architect unknown.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial at Aldsworth is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and dignified memorial;
* Group value: with the listed buildings to north and south of the memorial.
The war memorial at Aldsworth was erected in circa 1920, appearing on the Ordnance Survey map published in 1921. It commemorated the 13 men of the village who had lost their lives in the course of World War One. It was set up in a prominent position on the raised ground of the village green, at the junction of three roads. The triangle of ground on which it is set appears to have been landscaped slightly to provide a suitable setting for the memorial. Following World War Two, the names of the three men who had died in that conflict were added to the memorial.
MATERIALS: local limestone.
PLAN: the memorial is set on an almost-square platform circa 1.8m across.
DESCRIPTION: the structure takes the form of an obelisk, circa 3.4m high, set in a chamfered, square socket upon a tall, tapering base of square section, with pediments and moulded cornice to each face. Below the pediments are depressed fields with moulded edges, two of which remain blank. The other two carry carved inscriptions. The south face is inscribed : IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / THE FOLLOWING MEN FROM THIS VILLAGE / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 –1918. Below this are the names of the Fallen, 13 in total. The north side of the base carried the carved inscription: ALSO TO / [the names of the three men commemorated are then listed] / WHO FELL / IN THE WORLD WAR / 1939-1945. The carved lettering on all faces is picked out in black paint. The base sits upon a platform of two slightly sloping steps.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.