A First World War memorial.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial in the churchyard of St Mary Magdalene's Church, Chewton Mendip is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this dignified memorial;
* Group value: with the listed buildings which form its setting, namely the Church of St Mary Magdalene and a C15 churchyard cross (both Grade I).
The great age of memorial building was in the aftermath of the First World War. The war memorial in the churchyard of St Mary Magdalene's Church was erected to commemorate the twelve men of the parish who had lost their lives in the course of the First World War. Following the Second World War, the names of the two men who had died in that conflict were added to the memorial.
MATERIALS: the whole structure is constructed from Portland stone.
PLAN: the memorial is set on an octagonal plinth and four octagonal steps.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial takes the form of a cross, the arms of which are capped with octagonal terminals, on a tapering chamfered shaft with a chamfered and moulded socket. It stands on an octagonal plinth. Three of the sides (east) of the plinth are inscribed: 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF / THE OFFICERS AND MEN FROM THIS PARISH / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-19.' Below the legend are inscribed the names and details of the Fallen; these continue onto the steps on which the plinth stands. On the lower step, along with details of those who lost their lives in the First World War, is the legend; “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”. The north-west and north-east faces of the plinth are inscribed: 'ALSO OF THE FOLLOWING / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE / SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-1945;' below, are inscribed the names and details of the two men who lost their lives in the Second World War.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.