War memorial, erected in 1920.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter, Camerton is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this dignified memorial;
* Group value: with the listed buildings which form its setting, namely the Grade I Church of St Peter, and a lych gate which is listed at Grade II.
The great age of memorial building was in the aftermath of the First World War. The war memorial in the churchyard of St Peter's Church was erected in June 1920 and was funded by public subscription. It commemorates the twelve men of the parish who had lost their lives in the course of the First World War, including Chief Petty Officer George Prowse VC DCM RNVR (29 August 1896 – 27 September 1918) who was a recipient of the Victoria Cross. He served with the Royal Naval Division during the Gallipoli Campaign and in France on the Western Front where he was killed in action before the award of either of his decorations was announced.
Following the Second World War Two, the names of the six men who had died in that conflict were added to the memorial.
MATERIALS: the whole structure is constructed from Portland stone.
PLAN: the memorial is set on a rectangular base.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands some 3.2m high. It takes the form of an elaborately-carved cross on a tapering four-sided shaft which is splayed where it meets the plinth. The lower part of the north face of the shaft is carved: 'FAITHFUL / UNTO DEATH.' It stands on a tapered, rectangular plinth which in turn rests on a chamfered base and a platform. The principal (north) face of the plinth has carved foliage below which is a metal plaque dated AD 2000. The upper part of the plaque bears the legend: 'In Proud and Grateful Memory of those from Camerton / who fell fighting for their Country in two world wars.' Listed below are the name, rank and regiment of the twelve men who lost their lives in the First World War and the six who died during the Second World War. The north face of the base bears the text: 'ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION'.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.