Charfield War Memorial is of 1920 date and comprises a Portland stone tapering column with a carved wheel cross, set in a stone plinth and in front of a stone wall with inset memorial plaques.
Reason for Listing
Charfield War Memorial, Gloucestershire is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic: it has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context;
* Communal: it forms a poignant reminder of the effects of tragic world events on this local community;
* Architectural: although a simple monument, it is an elegant and dignified memorial that contributes to its setting in an historic village.
This war memorial was unveiled and dedicated on 28th February 1920. The architect was Mr. P.Tubbs and the builder Mr. W.T Goscombe. It is shown on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1921. After the end of the Second World War the names of the men from the parish who served in the conflict were added to the memorial.
This war memorial of Portland stone is formed of a wheel cross with pointed terminals. Below the cross a moulded capital surmounts an octagonal tapering column set in an octagonal plinth, which has an overhanging moulded edge. The principal face of the plinth, the side facing the road, is inscribed thus LEST·WE·FORGET/TO·THE·MEN·OF/CHARFIELD/WHO·FOUGHT·IN/THE·GREAT·WAR/1914-1918. The two flanking faces are inscribed with the ranks and names of the commemorated, 11 in total. Another face is inscribed; SECOND WORLD WAR/1939-1945 and below lists the name of the fallen in the conflict (4). The plinth is set on a square base, inscribed VICTORY on the principal side, facing the road. Behind the memorial is a single step to a paved area surrounded by a semi-circular rubble wall. Inset in the wall are seven tablets inscribed with the ranks and names of those that served in the two World Wars. The tablet directly to the rear of the memorial is inscribed; THE NAMES OF/THE GLORIOUS DEAD/ARE CARVED ON THE BASE OF THE/CROSS & OF THOSE WHO SERVED/ON THE PANELS ON THIS WALL. All inscriptions are picked out in black. The site is situated outside of the St. John (listed at Grade II), on the main road through the village.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.