War memorial, Carrington unveiled April 1920.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial, Carrington, unveiled in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest : it has special historic interest in commemorating those members of communities who died in the two World Wars;
* Architectural Interest: it is an imposing monument in a crucifix form demonstrating use of Portland Stone;
* Group Value: it has strong group value with the Church of Saint Paul which is listed at Grade II.
The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the 19th century. Prior to then memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, which was the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
The Carrington War Memorial was unveiled in April 1920 at a ceremony attended by local dignitaries. The service of commemoration was conducted by the Revd. W T Fielding M.A. The structure was sympathetically restored and repaired in 2011.
Carrington war memorial was designed and erected by Messrs. Browning and Son of Spilsby and unveiled in April 1920.
Built of Portland stone the memorial takes the form of a Latin cross, 15 foot tall with a downturned sword fixed to the centre of the shaft. The cross stands on a tapered stepped base and plinth.
The inscription reads: 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918/I SHALL NOT DIE BUT LIVE/ IN HONOUR OF THOSE WHO/ SERVED/ IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE/ 37 OTHERS WHOSE HOMES WERE ELSEWHERE JOINED THE FORCES FROM THIS PARISH.'
The names of the 17 persons from the parish who served and returned and the 7 who died during WWI are listed. The 22 who served and returned and the 1 who died during WWII are also listed.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.