Granary, probably of early-C19 date which was re-located several metres north-east of its original position in 2013.
Reason for Listing
Staple Farm granary, which is probably of early-C19 date but has been relocated, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: it is a good example of a two bay timber-framed granary on staddle stones, a type which has been listed elsewhere;
* Fixtures: retains rarely surviving wooden partitioning to its former grain bins;
* Authenticity: although moved a few metres north-east of its original position in 2013 it was moved bodily by crane and therefore retains a due degree of authenticity in its re-construction.
Staple Farm was owned by Postling Manor for most of its history. The granary is not shown on the Tithe map of 1843 for Postling, but as the tithe was a tax on production, not buildings, this may not be significant. It is shown with its current footprint on the 1872 First Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.
In the 1960s the farm ceased to be a working farm and the farmstead was sold in 2005.
DATE: granary, probably of early-C19 date which was re-located several metres north-east of its original position in 2013.
MATERIALS: timber-framed of softwood, clad in weatherboarding, supported on nine mushroom-shaped staddle stones with a hipped tiled roof.
PLAN: square in plan, 2 x 2 bays.
EXTERIOR: the entrance is on the south-west side with a central C20 ledged and braced door. The other three sides retain some tarred weather boards.
INTERIOR: the wall frame has thin studs and some diagonal braces and the roof structure has rafters with ridgepiece and purlins and collar beams. The floor has original wide floorboards and there are four grain bins with partitions of nailed wide horizontal planks.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.