British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Brooklands, Sarisbury Green

Description: Brooklands

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 22 October 1976
English Heritage Building ID: 141448

OS Grid Reference: SU4964408963
OS Grid Coordinates: 449644, 108963
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8780, -1.2957

Location: 246 A27, Locks Heath, Hampshire PO15 5DU

Locality: Sarisbury Green
Local Authority: Fareham Borough Council
County: Hampshire
Country: England
Postcode: PO15 5DU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(south west side)
SU 40 NE Sarisbury
South Brooklands


The address shall be amended:
(south west side)

the grade shall be amended to II* (star),

and the description shall be amended to read:

Large house. Built for Sir Thomas Williams (later Admiral) by Nash. c1800
with service wing addition of 1807 to north west, with 2-bay addition over
porch of 1858 by Langdon of the Isle of Wight when the house acquired a more
Italianate appearance and small extension to south east by Sir Edwin Lutyens
in 1916. Partly red brick, partly stuccoed, partly painted brick with slate
roof and brick chimneystacks. 2 to 3 storeys, irregular plan. Paired bracket
eaves cornice and unusual band between the 2nd and 3rd floors. Entrance on
west front is stuccoed with 2-bay addition over porch with incised lines to
ground floor. Mainly 6-pane sashes to 2nd floor and 12-pane sashes to 1st
floor, but ground floor has Doric portico flanked by round-headed side lights.
The south west corner has a curved bow through all 3 floors with a conical
roof and panels above 1st floor window. Loggia of 10 Doric columns on the
ground floor (by Langdon replacing an earlier verandah) follows the curve of
the bow. South front is of 2-storeys, 4 windows in red brick with cemented
architraves to 1st floor windows. East front is fairly irregular with 6
windows, mainly 12 paned sashes. Attached to the south wing is Lutyens porch
which comprises a 5-light mullioned and transomed casement with brick
relieving arches and doorcase breaking through,5-light mullioned and transomed
window. North front is the service wing of 1807 and has 4 cambered sashes
including 2 tripartite sashes on the ground floor. Fine c1800 staircase with
cast iron balusters, stone treads and mahogany handrail. Dado panelling.
Dining room has c1800 cornice of carved oak leaves and vine and grape
decoration with masks and fine painted ceiling with fabulous birds and
crossed flageolets. Dado rail and 2 overmantels with ovolo moulding and
surrounds with beading. Drawing room has a most unusual cornice with ivy
entwining Neptune's trident (a subtle reference to Admiral Williams), 2 sea
horses and a band of shells beneath and ceiling rose of the same pattern.
Panelled wall with 6 panelled door and wooden fireplace with modified Ionic
capitals and urn and foliage pilasters and marble inner surround. Library has
cornice with plumed capitals and a mid C19 marble fireplace with anthemion and
foliage decoration. The Drawing Room was lined in limed oak by Sir Basil
Ionides in 1916 when Lutyens added the porch. First floor has in Jane
Austen's bedroom (Sir Thomas Williams first wife was her cousin) a marble fire
surround with reeding and paterae and an iron firegrate with reeded frame
lions head marking and curved firebasket. Plumed cornice and 6-panelled door.
The principal bedroom has a cornice of nymphs holding wreaths and wheat ear
and harebell motifs. Fireplace is marble with anthemion motifs and reeded
pilasters. An adjoining bedroom to the south west has a marble fireplace and
coved cornice. Another bedroom has a wooden fireplace with shell and foilage
frieze and brackets with harebell origins. The first floor has 2 interesting
bathrooms of 1916 installed by Sir Basil Ionides. The yellow bathroom retains
the original sanitary fittings and yellow tiles with signs of the zodiac made
by a member of the Bloomsbury Group. There is a bathroom with marble basin
and bath. The 2nd floor has a room with a wooden fireplace with firegrate and
a bathroom with handmade fish decorated tiles and original fittings designed
by Sir Hugh Casson in the 1930s.
Jane Austen and A A Milne stayed at Brooklands frequently and Gertrude Jekyll
laid out the grounds.


(South West Side)
South Brooklands.
SU 40 NE 27/418
Early C19. Stuccoed facade. Originally 2 storeys, the 3rd storey added in the
mid C19. 4 windows facing south, 8 windows facing west. The south front bowed
on all floors with a conical roof. Venetian shutters to the 1st floor windows
and a loggia of 10 Doric columns on the ground floor following the curve of the
Interior of South Brooklands has some panelling, a room with C19 cornice and ceiling
and a marble fireplace with Ionic columns.
[Brooklnads, South Brooklands, and Gazebo form a group.

Listing NGR: SU5413107124

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.