War memorial. Erected 1922 with later additions.
Reason for Listing
The Hollingbourne War Memorial, a cross and walled enclosure erected on Eyhorne Street in 1922, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community. The addition of the names not only of the fallen from the Second World War but also supplementary names from the First World War adds to the interest;
* Design Interest: for the effective and simple design set within a walled enclosure appropriate for its rural setting.
The war memorial at Hollingbourne was built and erected by Vaughan and Sons of Maidstone, and unveiled on l5th April 1922. The names of those killed during World War II, including civilians, were subsequently added on a wedge-shaped granite block at the front of the memorial. In 2006 two further granite wedges were added at the sides of the memorial with an additional 24 names from both World Wars.
The memorial, placed on the north side of Eyhorne Street between the villages of Hollingbourne and Eyhorne Street, consists of a rough-hewn granite Celtic cross set on a three-tier granite base on a low concrete plinth. Adjoining the front and sides of the lower tier of the base are three wedge-shaped granite blocks added after the Second World and in 2006. The cross is set within an enclosure of low Kentish ragstone walls with concrete capping and reached via two stone steps.
The inscription, in lead lettering, set in an incised panel on the front of the top tier of the base reads: SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ THROUGH THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918. The names of the fallen are inscribed on the middle tier. The fallen of the Second World War are inscribed on the front granite wedge while additional names from both wars are inscribed on the two side wedges.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.